Lorentz JÄNTSCHI (lori) works ?id=39
- [id] => 39
- [recorddate] => 2007:01:13:11:20:05
- [lastupdate] => 2007:01:13:11:20:05
- [type] => article
- [place] => www, Internet
- [subject] => informatics - operating systems
- [relatedworks] =>
- 2 (average):
- Parallel processing of statistical data. C++ applications, ?id=12
- Upload a file to a server. Case study, ?id=49
- 3 (low):
- I386-based computer architecture and elementary data operations, ?id=38
- Installation and configuration issues about FreeBSD operating system, ?id=66
- [file] => ?f=39
- [mime] => application/pdf
- [size] => 442131
- [pubname] => Leonardo Electronic Journal of Practices and Technologies
- [pubinfo] => AcademicDirect
- [pubkey] => ISSN 1583-1078
- [workinfo] => 2(3): 1-30
- [year] => 2003
- [title] => Installing and testing a server operating system
- [authors] => Lorentz JÄNTSCHI
- [abstract] =>
The paper is based on the experience of the author with the FreeBSD server operating system administration on three servers in use under academicdirect.ro domain.
The paper describes a set of installation, preparation, and administration aspects of a FreeBSD server.
First issue of the paper is the installation procedure of FreeBSD operating system on i386 computer architecture. Discussed problems are boot disks preparation and using, hard disk partitioning and operating system installation using a existent network topology and a internet connection.
Second issue is the optimization procedure of operating system, server services installation, and configuration. Discussed problems are kernel and services configuration, system and services optimization.
The third issue is about client-server applications. Using operating system utilities calls we present an original application, which allows displaying the system information in a friendly web interface. An original program designed for molecular structure analysis was adapted for systems performance comparisons and it serves for a discussion of Pentium, Pentium II and Pentium III processors computation speed.
The last issue of the paper discusses the installation and configuration aspects of dial-in service on a UNIX-based operating system. The discussion includes serial ports, ppp and pppd services configuration, ppp and tun devices using.
- [keywords] => Server operating systems; Operating system configuration; Server services; Client-server applications; Dial-in server; System testing